Stay safe overseas – know before you go
We want your journey from Gatwick and beyond to go without a hitch, so together with the UK travel advice service Know Before You Go we've put together some tops tips which we hope will help you have a great trip.
Many of the things that often go wrong for travellers can be prevented or made less stressful by doing a little bit of research, taking a few simple precautions and making a few simple preparations.
We suggest you:
- Make sure you have a valid travel insurance policy, even if you’re only planning a short trip. You never know what may happen.
- Check if you need vaccinations for your trip by visiting a travel health clinic or your GP at least six weeks before you travel. You can find out more on www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk.
- Read up on your destination, including weather conditions, the local laws and customs. Buy a travel guide if you can - it's always nice to keep a special memento from your trip - or find out more at www.gov.uk/knowbeforeyougo
- Be prepared for the weather conditions when you get back to the UK. It may be sunny on your holiday, but snowing back in the UK.
- Make photocopies of your passport, visas and insurance details and leave a copy with a relative or friend at home.
- Check details for the British Consulate at your destination. Check you know where they are and what they can and can't help you with. www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations.
- We've put together more general health advice here.
- Decide how you're going to get to the airport. For the best parking deals, book well in advance of travel. There are lots of different options, but official Gatwick parking is the closest to the airport, offers total security and peace of mind and has options for all budgets and needs.
- If you require special assistance, please make sure that you've booked mobility assistance through your airline or tour operator at least 72 hours in advance. Obviously, if you forget to do this, we'll do our very best to help anyway. Find out more in our mobility assistance section.