Environment, health and safety
Our commitment to the environment and to the health and safety of everyone who visits Gatwick is at the heart of everything we do.
At Gatwick, our priority is to build a strong EHS culture. We are committed to ensuring the health and safety of employees, customers and business partners as well as managing the impact of our business on the environment. We will achieve this by:
- Implementing and maintaining robust EHS management systems which are certified to industry recognised standards including ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001 and PAS 55
- Demonstrating strong, visible leadership and behaviours towards EHS where there is collective ownership throughout the business
- Driving continuous improvement in our EHS performance by setting and monitoring clear measurable objectives and targets that are visible and meaningful to staff, towards achieving the vision of Zero EHS incidents
- Verifying the effectiveness of our controls and plans through an EHS assurance programme
- Incorporating EHS and risk management into our decision making including the planning, design, construction, fit-out, operation and decommissioning of our activities, facilities plant and equipment
- Preventing pollution by managing pollution risks, maintaining pollution prevention systems, mitigating the impacts of any pollution incidents and taking actions to prevent their re-occurrence
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable legislation and other requirements as a minimum standard for performance
- Ensuring staff have the necessary information, instruction, training, supervision and resources to deliver EHS requirements
- Maintaining effective channels of communication with our employees, business partners and suppliers to help them understand their EHS responsibilities
- Learning from our successes and from our incidents and sharing what we learn with others.
What’s more, to prove that we’re on the right track, our performance has been validated by independent certification. In 2010 we obtained the ISO14001 standard for environmental management and in 2012 the OHSAS18001 standard for health and safety, demonstrating that we’re managing risks and continuously improving.
View or download our Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) policy