At Gatwick we're dedicated to shaping the future of world travel and delivering the highest possible standards.
Our engineers work round the clock, 365 days a year and are essential to the smooth running of the airport. This means having a well trained, motivated team of technicians to ensure the equipment at our airport is safe, reliable and works when it should!
About our engineering apprenticeship programme
We run a four year programme which offers you the chance to earn while you train and get a nationally recognised qualification at the end of the course. Are you the type of person who can:
- Attend college regularly, work hard and ensure your assessments are completed to the highest standards?
- Work as part of a team?
- Take personal responsibility for working safely and follow the company's health and safety policies at all times?
- Be flexible and helpful?
- Maintain high professional standards at all times?
If you answered yes, here's what you will be doing:
First year: Training full time at East Surrey College in BTEC Electrical Engineering.
Second year: On-site training at the airport, spending three months at a time in different engineering departments. Continuing with BTEC Electrical Engineering and beginning NVQ Level 3 in Engineering Maintenance.
Third year: Ongoing training at engineering departments at the airport. Continuing NVQ Level 3 in Engineering Maintenance and one day a week at college to study HNC in Electrical Engineering.
Fourth year: Ongoing placements within engineering departments at the airport. One day a week at college to complete HNC in Electrical Engineering.
Want to apply?
Here's our criteria for applying to be an apprentice. You'll need to:
- Have a minimum of four GCSEs at grade C or Level 4/5 in English, maths and a technical subject
- Be interested in mechanical or electrical engineering
- Be aged between 16 and 57
- Embrace the desire to learn in a challenging, fast moving airport environment
- Show good communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team.
Our 2019 engineering apprentice scheme is now open applications from 4 February to 26 April. Apply now!
Watch our apprentices in action
See what happened when our Head of Engineering, Tony Yates, spent the day with some of our engineering apprentices for National Apprenticeship Week.
We also featured one of our apprentices, Anthony, in our Humans of Gatwick series. Head over to Instagram for more stories like his.
View this post on Instagram
"This apprenticeship is better than any other I know about; some people get funny with apprentices, and don’t give them a chance. But here - under supervision, obviously! - everyone is more than happy for you to get stuck in...