Environment, health & safety
Our commitment to safety - the safety of our people, the safety of our assets and the safety of our environment - is at the heart of everything we do at Gatwick.
Our priority is to build a strong EHS culture. We have an executive board member who oversees and is responsible for ensuring that environment, health and safety is always at the top of our agenda. We are committed to ensuring the health, safety and wellbeing of employees, customers and business partners, as well as managing the impact of our business on the environment. We will achieve this by:
- Implementing and maintaining robust EHS management systems which are certified to industry recognised standards including ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001 and ISO 5501.
- Demonstrating strong, visible leadership and behaviours towards EHS where there is collective ownership throughout the business.
- Driving continuous improvement in our EHS performance by setting and monitoring clear measurable objectives and key performance indicators that are visible and meaningful to staff, achieving the vision of our EHS strategy and meeting our Decade of Change sustainability targets.
- Protecting the environment including managing pollution risks and maintaining pollution prevention systems.
- Protecting the health and well-being of our employees through proactive health surveillance and well-being initiatives.
- Verifying the effectiveness of our controls and plans through a robust EHS assurance programme.
- Incorporating EHS - both risk management and opportunity identification - into our lifecycle decision making including the planning, design, construction, operation and decommissioning of our activities, facilities and assets.
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable legislation and other requirements as a minimum standard for performance
- Ensuring our employees have the necessary information, instruction, training, supervision and resources to deliver EHS competence.
- Maintaining effective channels of communication with our employees, business partners and suppliers to ensure they have the right information at the right time, through the right media.
- Celebrating, rewarding and recognising our successes and learning from our incidents and sharing what we learn with others.
What’s more, to prove that we’re on the right track, our performance has been validated by independent certification. In 2010 we obtained the ISO14001 standard for environmental management and in 2012 the OHSAS18001 standard for health and safety, demonstrating that we’re managing risks and continuously improving. We have held both of these certifications since this time.
View or download our Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) policy