Banner image Banner image

ID Centre FAQs

Find answers to questions about the London Gatwick ID scheme, including the documents needed and how to book an appointment

Use our FAQs to answer any queries about our ID passes before getting in touch

Common application errors

Please help us to help you by ensuring these common application errors are avoided. 

Security interviews

  1. The ID seen at the security interview should match the ID used for the ID Gateway application. 
  2. Driving licenses should only be used for British nationals. 
  3. The person conducting the security interview should be registered with the ID Centre as an Authorised Signatory or Trained Interviewer. We will not accept it from any other person. 
  4. The applicant’s signature on the security interview should match the ID used. The applicant’s ID document needs to be signed. 
  5. All the questions need to be answered and should not be left unanswered. Ensure you use NA where appropriate. 

Escorted employment passes

  1. A change of address should be updated on the application. 
  2. The criminal record check (CRC) should be the same as the application address. This is unless it is the requesting company's address registered with us or the designated agent for which we have been advised. If the applicant has recently moved the CRC issue date must be before the move date. This needs to be shown on the application. 
  3. The applicant’s details such as DOB, Name and Nationality should all be correct. 

Full pass applications

  1. The CRC should be the same as the application address. This is unless it is the requesting company's address registered with us or the designated agent for which we have been advised. If the applicant has recently moved the CRC issue date must be before the move date. This needs to be shown on the application.

What are the different pass zones?

Passes have different colours and numbers. These represent various levels of access around the airport. See the diagram below for what each colour and level means.

Additional access can be requested by the authorised signatory for ID pass holders. Please complete and return the CEM request form

What documents do I need to apply for a full ID pass?

Several documents are needed to apply for a full ID pass. You will need: 

1.A valid form of ID 

  • Check Icon ImageBritish nationals: A current UK passport or a UK driving licence. 
  • Check Icon ImageEEC/EEA nationals: A current passport or national identity card. 
  • Check Icon ImageAll other nationals: A current passport together with an original document confirming the right to remain and the right to work in the UK. In some cases, a visa should be presented. 

2.Proof of a national insurance number must be provided, e.g., P60, P45 or NI card. 

3.Satisfactory references covering the last five years. 

4.No gaps of over 28 days unaccounted for. 

5.A completed security interview form. 

6.A valid and current Criminal Record Check (CRC). Valid means it was submitted within 10 weeks of the issue date. If the person was overseas, a CRC will be required from all countries where the applicant has resided for over six months within the last five years. If this is the most recent CRC, this will need to be submitted within the 10-week validity period 

7.A valid General Security Awareness Training (GSAT) certificate. 

Jargon buster


  • Criminal Record Check


  • Overseas Criminal Record Check


  • Disclosure and Barring Service (CRC Provider)


  • General Security Awareness Training


  • Accreditation Check


  • Security Interview


  • Universal Credit

How should I conduct a security interview?

The security interview needs to be conducted in-person or via video call. This is due to the sensitive nature of the questions contained in the security interview. 

The security interview needs to be completed by the company’s authorised signatory or trained interviewer. Proof of ID details need to be added at this point. The ID shown at the security interview should be used for any subsequent applications and the signature must match the ID provided.

How can I get passes to allow a vehicle airside?

Companies that need vehicle access must first get a licence to operate vehicles. Permanent vehicle passes are issued for one year. All vehicles entering the restricted zone or controlled areas must have aviation insurance coverage of not less than £50 million.  

Limited-duration vehicle passes carry the same insurance requirements. They only apply to vehicles that need occasional or irregular airside access. All vehicles must be identifiable either by company livery or by removable transfers/signage on the side of the vehicle.  

Detailed vehicle emission standards are required. Stringent MOT or safety inspection certificates are enforced. All drivers must have an airside driving permit or be always accompanied in the vehicle by an airside driving permit holder. 

For more information and to apply for an airside operator’s license and airside driving permits, please contact AIRDAT or call 01227 200066 (option 3). 

How do I get staff parking?

The ID Centre can only add staff car parking onto passes at the time of the initial issue. Parking can be added to 60-day, landside and full ID passes. Your authorised signatory needs to select this on Airport Gateway.

For new Staff Car Park A requests, authorised signatories must email to receive and complete the staff parking form.

Requests must provide the following: 

  • Staff full names and ID Numbers (noted on the front of the GAL ID pass) 
  • Vehicle registrations (maximum of two per member of staff) 
  • Date parking should be made active or cancelled (for billing purposes) 

Requests must provide at least seven working days’ notice for processing

Car Park Guide: Staff Car Park Factsheet

Terms and conditions for the use of staff car parks

Authorised signatories

An authorised signatory is someone nominated by the company to manage the application for and manage ID passes. To become an authorised signatory, your organisation must be a member of the ID scheme. You must be nominated using the authorised signatory nomination through Airport Gateway

What is the role of the authorised signatory?

Authorised signatories manage the ID pass scheme within their own company or section of the business. They are responsible for ensuring that relevant information about ID pass-holders or applicants is passed to the ID Centre and is kept up to date.

For new applications, authorised signatories are responsible for getting references and other documents (such as criminal record checks). They also verify aspects of each application.

Authorised signatories do not have to carry out every task themselves. They may have help from those lead on referencing and other processes at their company. They should always ensure that relevant communications are passed to the relevant colleague or team, such as the HR department or senior management.

Criminal record checks

What's a criminal record check (CRC)?

All permanent ID pass applicants must undergo a CRC. These statements disclose any prior unspent convictions. Certain convictions disqualify the applicant from holding a permanent identity pass. 

The authorised signatory is responsible for ensuring the CRC is presented within its period of validity (currently 10 weeks). It should also be free of all disqualifying endorsements. 

A new CRC is required at each ID renewal date. This is typically every five years. Some types of employment may require a counter-terrorist check.  

How do I obtain criminal record checks for our employees and new applicants? 

Further information is available from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). 

It is recommended that employers adopt a process in which applicants complete their forms and send them directly to DBS. On return of the basic disclosure certificate (which will be sent to the applicant direct), the applicant should give the original certificate to the authorised signatory.  

The basic disclosure certificate must be presented to the ID Centre within 10 weeks of the date of issue. DBS operates an online service for applications. Companies that need to make several applications should consider registering with DBS. 

Arrangements can be made for the presentation of the disclosure certificate direct to the ID Centre by the applicant if required. 

The basic disclosure certificate always remains the property of the applicant. 

How do I get a CRC if the applicant lives abroad or is based overseas? 

An overseas CRC is needed for any country an applicant has resided in for over six months. For more information, contact the specific country’s embassy or refer to the CAA website. 

You can also find more advice and information on the NPSA website. 

If it is the current CRC, it should be presented within 10 weeks of the date of issue. 

What happens when a passholder's details change?

The ID Centre must be told of any changes to an individual's pass or ID record. A reissue or revalidation form should be completed for any of the following reasons: 

  • change of appearance 
  • company name or logo change 
  • change of company prefix (normally for internal company transfers) 
  • change of name or job title 
  • change of home address or telephone number. 

Requests for changes of access requirements should also be submitted on the change of ID pass details form. The authorised signatory must sign a declaration confirming their agreement and consent to the changes to being made. 

What happens if an ID pass is lost or stolen?

Please call the ID Centre if a pass is lost or stolen on 01293 501636 or email so the pass can be stopped. If it is outside of our opening hours please call 07795 318865

To get a new card, the lost/stolen ID pass replacement application must be completed on Airport Gateway by the authorised signatory.

What is General Security Awareness Training (GSAT) training?

All airport staff who need an airside staff pass must first complete a GSAT course. This is stated in Department for Transport (DfT) legislation. Please see a list of providers here.


How many references does an applicant for an airside pass need? 

One or more employment references must cover the previous full five years' employment or education history. Any gaps in employment must be verified by references from the appropriate agency. For example, this could be Universal Credit statements (full statement for each month must be uploaded, showing any deductions) for periods of unemployment, or HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) for periods of self-employment. 

There may be cases where the applicant has neither worked nor claimed benefit during the previous five years for a period of 28 days or over (for example, a carer or a previously non-working partner returning to employment). In this instance, a gap reference will be required.

What about self-employment or periods of unemployment? 

Periods of self-employment must be validated by the applicant's accountant, solicitor or HMRC. The Jobcentre Plus must verify periods of registered unemployment if a Universal Credit statement has not been provided.

What information should gap references include? 

Any gaps of over 28 days must be covered by a reference from an individual (gap referee). They will be asked to confirm how long they have known the applicant and, to the best of their knowledge, what the applicant was doing during the gap period in question. 

A pro forma reference request for gap references is available from the application formssection. This should be used with your company's letterhead. All contact names, addresses and phone numbers need to be clearly legible and accurate.  

All references should be addressed to and sent direct to the prospective employer.

What will the applicant need to bring to collect their pass?

Once you have booked your applicants appointment to collect their full pass, please remind them to:

  1. Bring their ID used for the application, no other form of ID will be accepted.
  2. They may be asked to confirm their address and if this does not match their address listed on the application, they may be unable to collect their pass.
  3. Be prepared to have their photograph taken for the ID Pass (hats or scarves will asked to be removed unless it is for religious purposes)
  4. To inform you if they are going to be late.

What is an accreditation check (AC)?

The AC is a new level of UK National Security Vetting. It lasts for up to five years and is applied to applicants of all airside passes. This new clearance has been mandated by UK regulations and is required regardless of whether the person holds a higher level of clearance. 

The AC is applied for by the ID centre on your behalf unless you are a UK air carrier or a control authority, who can apply for their own. 

It is not transferable between companies. It will need to be re-applied for in the event the applicant changes employers. 

When applying for a full ID pass or five-year renewal, please include the applicant's personal email address. This is required for the check. 

If the AC is refused, you will not be able to work airside at Gatwick Airport. 

Department for Transport (DfT)

DFT Logo

Oversee delivery of a reliable, safe and secure transport system that responds to the needs of individuals and businesses whilst safeguarding the environment. 

Department for Transport website

Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)

CAA logo

The UK's aviation regulator. They control all flight paths and aircraft routes at UK airports and regulate airlines, airports and NATS air traffic services. 

Civil Aviation Authority website

National Air Traffic Services (NATS)

NATS logo

Control all flight paths and aircraft routes at all our UK airports. They are responsible for an aircraft from the time it departs the stand until it leaves UK air space. 

NATS website

Home Office

Home office logo

Sets the framework of objectives, financial allocations, strategy and performance management for the key services that the Home Secretary is responsible for. 

Home Office website

UK Visas and Immigration

UK Visas and Immigration logo

Manages applications for people who want to visit, work, study or settle in the UK.

UK Visas and Immigration