Passport control | Gatwick Airport

Passport control

Your first step after arriving at Gatwick is to clear passport control.

Passport control

There are two separate queues for:

  • European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), British nationals and Swiss nationals
  • All other nationalities.

At the passport desk a UK Border Force officer will ask to see your passport or travel document and any supporting documentation necessary for your visit.
Please remember that your passport must not expire during your visit.

For full details on entry requirements into the UK, visit the UK Border Force website.

Where do I go?

epassport gatese-Passports

If you have a chipped EU passports, then you can use the ePassport gates when you arrive at Gatwick. Simply scan your passport on arrival. This facility is currently available to anyone aged 18 or over arriving in both North and South terminals.

There is no need to pre-register, but you must hold a chipped EU passport - ID cards are not valid for this service.

 UK and EU passports
EU/EEA and Swiss passport holders

If you hold an EU, EEA or Swiss passport, then please head towards to right hand side in both our North and South Terminal arrivals halls.


International passports
Non EU/Non EEA passport holders

If you do not hold an EU passport, please go to the left hand side of our arrivals hall. Please ensure you have any visas and/or landing cards completed correctly.


Help us to help you get through border control more quickly.

Flight connections

International connections: you will not need to clear passport control or Customs.

International to UK and Ireland connections: you must clear passport control and Customs.

UK and Ireland to international connections: you can use the special immigration check points if your baggage is through-checked – otherwise you must clear Immigration and Customs.

The following are EU countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom.

Flying from Isle of Man with Flybe

All passengers travelling with Flybe from the Isle of Man to Gatwick now arrive through International arrivals. This means that you’ll no longer need to wait at the facial capture point before collecting your baggage – just have your boarding card ready when you arrive at Border Control.