Here we post updates on rail engineering works or disruption to services. We recommend that you always check with your train company or National Rail and plan your journey before you travel.
Monday 19 to Friday 23 August - Overnight bus replacement service between Guildford/Redhill and Gatwick
Engineering work is taking place between Redhill and Gomshall from 22:45 to 05:45 the following morning (ending Friday morning), closing various lines.
Buses replace Southern trains between Redhill and Reigate.
From approximately 23:00 until the end of service, buses will replace trains between Guildford and Redhill/Gatwick Airport.
Saturday 24 to Monday 26 August - Major upgrade work at London Kings Cross
Major upgrade work is taking place over the August bank holiday weekend at London Kings Cross. Network Rail are advising passengers not to travel where possible and to instead travel on Friday 23 or Tuesday 27 August.
On Saturday 24 and Sunday 25 August, London Kings Cross Station is closed. No Thameslink trains will run in either direction between:
- Peterborough and London Kings Cross/London St Pancras International
- Cambridge and London Kings Cross/London St Pancras International
A replacement bus service will operate between Peterborough and Bedford for onward travel to St Pancras using a Thameslink train.
Other train operating companies affected include:
- No Grand Central trains will run
- Hull Trains will operate a very limited service
- Great Northern will run between Cambridge and Kings Lynn only
- LNER will run a very limited service from Scotland and the north of England to Peterborough
Journey planners are suggesting alternative routes. Alternative trains will be extremely busy.
On bank holiday Monday (26 August), a reduced service will run to/from London Kings Cross. Trains may operate with extended journey times.
For further details on service changes and to plan your journey visit National Rail Enquiries.
Sunday 1 September - Buses replace trains between Purley and Gatwick Airport before 06:30
Engineering work is taking place between Merstham and Horley, closing some lines.
Between 01:00 and 06:30 on Sunday, trains will be unable to call at Merstham, Redhill, Earlswood and Salfords. Passengers to/from these stations should use replacement buses running between Purley and Horley/Gatwick Airport.
Sunday 8 September - Buses replace trains at Redhill
Engineering work is taking place between Purley and Earlswood, closing all lines.
- Gatwick Express services will run to a reduced frequency, with trains running every 30 minutes.
- Great Western Railway services will be replaced by buses between Reigate and Redhill/Gatwick Airport.
- Southern and Thameslink trains will be diverted to run on alternative routes, not calling at Coulsdon South, Merstham or Redhill.
- Replacement buses will run between Purley and Horley, calling at all stations via Redhill.
Sunday 8 September - No trains between London St Pancras International and London Blackfriars
Engineering work is taking place at various locations in London, closing all lines between London St Pancras International and London Blackfriars.
No trains will run between London St Pancras International and London Blackfriars/London Bridge.
Thameslink services will operate as follows:
- Bedford to Brighton services will run between Bedford and London St Pancras International and between London Bridge and Brighton.
- Cambridge-Gatwick Airport/Horsham - services will run between Cambridge and London Kings Cross and London Bridge and Gatwick.
- Passengers can use London Underground services between London St Pancras/London Kings Cross and London Blackfriars/London Bridge and also between London Victoria and Elephant & Castle/London Blackfriars.